It’s been a very long time since I shared my skin care routine, and my skin has really been doing it’s thing lately, if I do say so myself. A lot of you caught on and have been asking what the heck I’ve been doing.
This is my core routine and when it comes to skin care, like with most things, consistency is key! I’ve been doubling down on my routine as I start to climb into my 40’s. A little background for you – I went to makeup school back in 2004 and skin care and makeup really do go hand in hand, I was a beauty editor for many years, and have been fortunate to try out allll the skincare bc of that and bc brands often send me things to try. I’ve learned a LOT over the years, and am not about fluff or BS (as you probably know about me by now!). My current philosophy is consistency, quality over quantity, and listening to your skin! If you tune into what your skin is telling you, you get to know what it needs. I have been getting Botox since around 2015. I really believe that simple is better and dousing the skin with too many products is ineffective and unnecessary, plus, the costs really add up. Like I said, this is my core routine – I might add things in here and there, but I wanted to share something foundational that you might want to take from! Oh, and I defo recommend regular facials – i like Formula Fig bc they combine technique and tech. Consistency with this matters, too!
OK, that’s your primer – let’s drop that skincare routine, shall we! Products all linked at the bottom.
- Wash with cleanser in the shower, and depending on the day, mix it with the exfoliating polish. I only incorporate the polish 3 times a week as to not over exfoliate my skin.
- Use one of my fave vitamin C serums – brightens, activates collagen, helps with sun exposure.
- A little bit of moisturizer (the one I use right now is PRICY which is annoying, but I adore it!). Funny, bc the other day Roberto said to me that he tried a (small) pump of my Bader moisturizer and was allll about it. He’s not allowed to use it BTW, bc, well $$$.
- Follow with makeup or sunscreen or nothing else as needed!
- Wash with cleanser (sometimes I’ll do a double cleanse with a balm first when wearing makeup)
- Retinol – IMO, this is the biggest game changer for every skin type. It fights texture, the look of aging, smooths, brightens, does all the things. I recommend starting with 0.5% if you are completely new to retinol and watching how your skin reacts. It is very active. Meaning if effects your skin quickly and on a deep level. Start with 2 times a week, expect some peeling, dry patches, irritation and just keeeep going, adding another day as your skin can tolerate it. You’ll want to stop bc of the peeling, but glass skin is on the other side of this, I promise. This is why I love my exfoliating polish in the morning… keeps that peeling at bay while doing so gently. As you tolerate it better, increase the % you buy and now I use 4-5 nights a week. Keep in mind, retinol should be discontinued if you plan on getting laser, needling, waxing, certain facials, so please always check with your providers. It also makes the skin sensitive to sun, so I prefer to only use when seasonality lend (i.e. the cooler months) and always wear sunscreen when using.
- On nights when I don’t apply retinol, I apply my oil/serum. That’s Vintner’s Daughter, and I have used it for over 5 years… I used to do the social/photography for the brand and was then an ambassador. This is a product that has done so much good for my skin, and while it’s an investment, I do invest in my skin.
- I always apply my lip mask, oh how I love thee. The berry is my go to!
Makeup routine and products next?! Let me know what you think.
- ZO Skin Health Exfoliating Polish (ERIN15 saves you 15%)
- Augustinus Bader The Rich Cream
- Di Morelli Vitamin C Serum for Face and Eye
- ZO Skin Health Exfoliating Cleanser (ERIN15 saves you 15%)
- TULA Skincare Brightening Treatment Drops (ERINCSOUSA saves you 15%)
- ZO Skin Health Wrinkle + Texture Repair (ERIN15 saves you 15%)
- Vintner’s Daughter Active Botanical Serum
- Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask